GeoViQua's primary goal is to augment GEOSS Common Infrastructure (GCI) with innovative quality-aware visualisation tools and geo-search capabilities, providing to the user community with enhanced and advanced tools available through the GEO Portal and other end-user tools.
GeoViQua has 3 major scientific and technical objectives:
- The provision of innovative tools to enhance the current infrastructure capability. GeoViQua's major technical innovation is search and visualization tools for the community that communicate and exploit data quality information from GEOSS catalogues.
- The development of the GEOLabel. Within GeoViQua, GEOLabel requirements are identified (Work Package 2), integrated with components (WP6), validated and applied into pilot cases (WP7), and disseminated to the community (WP8). This task will be completed in collaboration with the GEO task ST-09-02.
- The harmonization, exploitation and dissemination of project outputs. A careful validation process is conducted in collaboration with a number of communities of practice and standards committees to ensure that the project contributes effectively to the GCI (GEOSS Common Infrastructure) architecture. Collaboration with AIPs (Architecture Implementation Pilot) will be continuous.
The role of quality
Quality information based on provenance information describing the processing and quality control applied to data: development of the GEOLabel.
Quality information also based on quantitative assessment of the uncertainty associated to data (QA4EO documentation).
Quality information based on user feedback related to user view of data utility in the form of subjective qualitative statements and reviewing mechanisms.
1. Information sharing
1.1 2D and 3D data visualisation
1.2 Data quality, trust and low-bandwidth access
1.3 Web 2.0 and Volunteered Geographic
2. Quality assessment and quality metadata
2.1 Relating data, metadata and quality.
2.2 Data quality indicators; quality elicitation methods
3.1Standards for metadata and quality
3.2Inclusion of data quality information into standards for data visualisation
4. Enhancing the GEOSS environment
4.1 Data quality aware geo-search components
4.2 Advancing in the use of GEOSS visualisation tools